Veganuary

Veganuary is a non profit organisation that encourages people all over the world to eat a plant based diet for the month of January, and hopefully beyond. This year has recorded the highest number of people EVER to take part in the challenge and I was one of them! Now more than ever it is… Read more »

by LibbyDawson 9 months ago

Veganuary is a non profit organisation that encourages people all over the world to eat a plant based diet for the month of January, and hopefully beyond. This year has recorded the highest number of people EVER to take part in the challenge and I was one of them! Now more than ever it is so easy to find the foods that you already know and love, but without the meat and dairy content; there is so much choice. Personally, I can’t find a reason not to eat something that’s tasty, (sometimes) healthier and better for the environment!

Prior to Veganuary, my diet was mostly plant-based as I didn’t eat meat, fish or many dairy products. Roughly, I’d say 93% of the time I ate this way, but the remaining 7% was when I had the odd bit of Dairy Milk, slice of carrot cake or some cheese; it was like this for a couple of years, but finally I decided Veganuary 2021 was the time to drop the treats and fully commit.

One of the biggest excuses for not consuming a plant based diet is “but I love cheese and chocolate” and for a long time this was my excuse too. However, there are soo many different vegan cheeses and chocolates out there (many that I have tried and loved), that you are bound to find something you like. Like with most vegan alternatives… if you don’t like it, try something else, because they’re not all the same and they all taste different.

Initially, I didn’t think I would find this challenge that difficult, and honestly it really wasn’t! For me, the most difficult thing about switching my diet completely was definitely checking the labels. You do get used to it and begin to familiarise yourself with certain products, however, the one thing that I slipped up on once was milk powder – it’s in everything so watch out!

With that being said, it’s going to be a different experience for everyone because we all have different tastes. One of my biggest tips is don’t beat yourself up about your choices or your mistakes. If you eat a plant based diet 100% of the time that’s amazing, but if you eat vegan twice a week or four of your meals out of the month… that’s still amazing! And don’t worry about going from 0-100 in the beginning; start by changing your cow’s milk to oat milk, then introduce your dairy free butter and meat free sausages. Every single change, big or small is a good one!

DID YOU TRY VEGANUARY? HOW WAS IT? I’D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES: [email protected]