Sadder Days Vol.1 is the debut project from Las Vegas Hip Hop collective Sad Art Collective, here are my thoughts on each track of this project:
- 1. SADDER DAYS: This is mainly an intro skit which gives an overall taste of what the overall project is going to sound like, each member sings “Sadder Days” over a chilled synthesized instrumental, which is a play on words of “Saturdays”, this intro adds captivation when the project is played like an album.
2. MY TIME FEAT. STRYTLLR & NEVOS TYLER: Strytllr has these smooth R&B style vocals and talks about his depression and wanting to “jump off the edge”, to find a better place. In the easy-going chorus he talks about wanting to make the most of things, and Nevos Tyler gradually slides across the jazzy instrumental, throwing a lot of witty bars in the process. This song was very fun to listen to.
3. GO AHEAD FEAT. NEVOS TYLER, JOEL THE UNICORN & MARCO 4D: Now we dip out feet into a sea of fun carefree songs. It’s got some slick animated flows and lyrics from each of the members in this song. I also like the bubbly production, suitable for a Caribbean setting and atmosphere.
4. DADDY FEAT. TANNA MARIE, JOEL THE UNICORN & LONGLIVEMOSI: This one features a lot of bold personality. Especially Tanna Marie with her sassy singrap flow along with sexualised lyrics giving this track even more of a reason to revisit, Joel and Mosi give the track more sexual presence and come in with some quickwitted lines about sex. This is probably a song that slaps hardest for the parties.
5. SENTIMENTAL FEAT. JOEL THE UNICORN, MARCO 4D, ZERBY & TANNA MARIE: This does give off some nice Earthgang vibes because of the wacky adlibs and interesting deliveries. Despite the song having a very upbeat instrumental it does have some serious subject matter about being in a toxic relationship with a woman and the bad mental side effects. The chorus is also very smooth, and the adlibs make it a lot more fun and animated.
6. IT’S LIT FEAT. ZERBY & LURK FRANKLIN: This is probably the most outlandish of them all. Starting off with a quirky chorus on top of a glossy grimy instrumental, in the verses I can definitely spot some Brockhampton influence, yet it doesn’t take away from the entertainment value of the song. The opening line of Lurk Franklin’s verse got a few giggles out of me, and I just love the overall energy of his verse, this song is quite tongue in cheek.
7. WINNING FEAT. MARCO 4D & LURK FRANKLIN: Both add spirit and charisma as well as off-the-wall flows and hard-hitting lyrics (in a fun and entertaining way). The trap drums also provide bounce, as the song title suggests it’s about being unstoppable and living their finest life. This track definitely makes me feel unstoppable.
8. BACK IT UP FEAT. LONGLIVEMOSI, MARCO 4D, JOEL THE UNICORN & ZERBY: The verses of each member in this song still never fail to impress in terms of character. They also have some raunchy sex lines, but what does let this track down for me is the monotonic chorus which essentially lacks groove. Otherwise the song still has a notably sexual nature.
9. TELL ME FEAT. TANNA MARIE AND STRYTLLR: Now we move into more of a slow R&B direction. Both artists softly sing about how their boyfriend/girlfriend isn’t feeling ok and isn’t admitting their feelings, the lyrics painting a picture of the distress and worry both artists feel. I also enjoy the soft guitar riffs along the track to give it its melancholic nature. Overall, I think it’s a nice switch up.
10. BUSSIT FEAT. JOEL THE UNICORN & MARCO 4D: The instrumental sounds like it was made for nightclubs. I enjoy the smooth chorus and delivery from Joel, while in the verses adding the fact he’s bored during this pandemic (we all are). Additionally, I enjoyed the strong flow from Marco 4D where he talks about having a good time with the ladies. Overall, this is a celebratory closure. Overall, this is a very solid effort. I’m interested to hear what they have in store in the future and hope that they eventually gain more recognition.