“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
Tao Te Ching.
This quote demonstrates what we as human beings can achieve when we work together and have a goal to reach. All it takes is one individual to ignite the spark and encourage others to follow.
The definition of the Danish word “Hygge” means simply comfort and cosiness. As a community, we all enjoy relaxing whenever we can, but we don’t often stop to think about the impact that our choices have on the environment. In order to combat this issue and become more eco-friendly when unwinding, I have produced some beneficial tips for individuals at home and the workplace.
This makes life much better and more enjoyable.
1. If you’re not using an electric item, then turn it off to reduce your carbon footprint. What’s the point in keeping your television or laptop on stand-by if you’re not using it?! By following this tip, you will also see a difference in your energy bill. You could also change the settings on any laptop or TV to save energy while it is in use and reduce your energy output. Remember: if it’s not in use, hit the off switch.
2. Research into renewable energy suppliers, this is a great piece of advice for anyone wanting to become more eco-friendly in their home. Switching your energy supplier is easy and greener energy companies include: Octopus Energy, Bulb and Engie. Besides, by choosing a 100% renewable tariff, any electricity you use is essentially zero carbon! There are a variety of different renewable energy sources available, the most common being solar and wind power which many households have access to.
3. One of the main ways to become more eco-friendly is to recycle. It’s easy to recycle and nowadays you can recycle most items from your household (glass, paper etc). Next time you’re about to bin something, think and check if it’s recyclable first.
4. From working in a modern company, I have noticed more eco-friendly campaigns emerging in the last few years. For instance, recently at work they have advised staff to bring in their own reusable cups in an effort to cut down on plastic cups. The advantage of this idea will cut down the extensive number of cups ending up in landfills. This example has also been applied to reusable water bottles with metal bottles becoming mainstream and the increase on the cost of disposable shopping bags.
5. Furthermore, another tip to try is car sharing, which is a program available at my workplace. The positives of car sharing include: lower fuel and parking fees and reducing carbon emissions which would improve air quality as a result.
The suggestions above are only a few ideas but there are a wide range of other possibilities to help the environment. Overall, I think that these pieces of advice are important for anyone wanting to help the environment or anyone looking to live more eco-friendly. Additionally, these tips will allow you to be happier and healthier as an individual so why not go ahead and try them from today. If you try some of these tips and successfully help the environment, then put your feet up – you deserve it!