Securing work experience or an internship is a great achievement. In order to make the most out of this opportunity you should do all you can to prepare for it. Our top tips are listed below and we will be covering how to ensure you are successful in your placement in next month’s issue!
1. Understand your employer and your role;
Hopefully you will have researched the employer and your role before applying for your placement, however if you didn’t do this, now is the time. Understand what they do, why they do it and how they do it to the best of your ability. Research the employer online and look at recent news articles that relate to them. Your placement will be an opportunity to learn, but if you already know the basics this will demonstrate your eagerness to learn, and will allow the employer to give you a deeper insight to what goes on.
2. Get to grips with first day basics;
Take some pressure off of your first day by making sure the following things are agreed to or organised in advance:
– Start date, time, lunch time and what time you are expected to work until
– How you are going to travel to your placement and how much this will cost (it’s a good idea to do a dummy run before your actual start date!). If your employer has agreed to pay your travel expenses, speak to them about how and when you will be reimbursed – BEFORE you start
– What you are going to wear (think about the appropriate dress code)
– Lunch – where can you get lunch from on your first day, or where you can store your lunch if you want to take your own? Many companies will have canteens or kitchens where you can buy or store lunch.
– Who your main contact or supervisor will be. Store their name and number in your phone, just in case you need to contact them on your first day.
3. Think ahead about what you want to get out of the placement.
Are you looking to develop key skills, learn more about a specific department etc? Make a note of this and take it along on your first day.