Introducing Cooking on the Dime, our new recipe segment geared towards students. Each month, our resident chef Chev will be taking you through quick and easy recipes which you can use to impress your peers! Cooking for yourself can be stressful but necessary when preparing for University or just life! Don’t worry though, we’re here to help.
As it’s vegan month, it’s only right that I show you how to re-create a season classic. As Halloween has not long passed, you’re probably wondering what you’re going to do with your leftover pumpkins. Why not turn them into a pumpkin soup? Just what we need on a cold November evening!
Serves 4 / Estimated time 35 minutes
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp ginger
9 cups of pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
400ml of coconut cream
360ml vegetable stock
• Before you begin to cook, chop up your onion and ginger and crush the garlic. Once done, put these ingredients into a cooking pot with the coconut oil and cook until soft.
• Add the coconut cream and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Add the pumpkin chunks and stir until it’s soft (approx. 10 mins).
• Once cooked, transfer to a blender (or use a hand blender) until the soup is smooth.
• Serve with crusty buttered bread and pumpkin seeds as garnish.